04 December 2008

A few good things.

A few good things, in no particular order.
  1. MySpace Music. I keep a tab open for MySpace Music pretty much all the time. I can listen to artists' albums all day long. Most current artist is Naono. How peaceful.
  2. iTunes IndieFeed Electronica podcasts. How I found out about Naono and other cool people, such as the Shanghai Restoration Project and Lampshade. It's nifty.
  3. Twitter. I can say short little blips about whatever. Their introductory video on the home page is cute. And I can follow people like the ever-quotatious Shaquille O'Neal and incredibly tech-savvy Stephen Fry. Oh, and friends.
  4. Text messages. The direct line-ness of a cell phone, only you don't have to verbalize anything, and you can abandon and pick up conversations at will.
  5. Soda. Particularly Dr Pepper and regular ol' cola. Doesn't have to be Coke -- although it pretty much has to be actual Dr Pepper. They've got a good thing going on with their 23 flavors.
  6. Java City. Yeah, Starbucks has white-and-green (well, red-and-green for the holidays) cups, which are status symbols, like designer handbags and Uggs. Only Starbucks cups are cool. They also have Salted Caramel Signature Hot Chocolate and stylish gift cards -- even customizable ones. But Java City makes the best caramel macchiato, and there's a Java City in the library, where I live. They're both good in their own ways.
  7. Google. As my friend remarked the other day, Google is like the Walmart of the internet. It's great. You can make it talk like the Swedish Chef, or Elmer Fudd, or a pirate. Whatever. Other features worth their own bullets are
  8. Gmail, which is now incredibly customizable (my Gmail has mountains; my sister's has cartoon ninjas), and
  9. iGoogle, which is also incredibly customizable (I have a cityscape that changes colors throughout the day). Also,
  10. Google Books and
  11. Google Scholar, both very helpful for graduate students. In that same vein,
  12. RefWorks. It allows you to save citations to some mystical internet database, which you can access from any computer and will magically format documents and insert footnotes/endnotes/whatever into your research papers. Amazing.
  13. Chapstick. My lips love it.
  14. Nick Saban and the Alabama Crimson Tide.
  15. Sleep.
That's enough lollygagging for now.

No comments: