08 January 2009

Throwback: Buying music...on CDs...in a store.

I just bought two CDs. I haven't bought music in a long, long time. I cruised down the two music aisles at Target and realized that CDs are not very popular anymore. They have CD case-shaped cardboard squares with gift card-looking things for you to redeem online. Wow. I hit the $8.99 rack and purchased Party Starter: Disco Mix and Crank Up The Classic Rock. I don't feel old because of my taste in music, but because I bought an actual compact disc of musical recordings.

Also, besides feeling like a dinosaur, I feel like a goodie-two-shoes. Aren't punk college kids like me supposed to pirate music off the internet? I'm sure [name omitted] has at least half these songs and would gladly file share with me. But no...I'm better than that. I pay for my music, thank you.

I'm glad to see that the seal at the top of the cases is easier to get off. I like to peel the entire sticker off instead of just slit it to get it open, and used to, it was like removing the label off a plastic soda bottle -- it kind of shreds and the seam stays suck. Not so anymore. It's more like a Jones Soda label now.

Oh. Oh. This is so good. The classic rock album I just ripped to my library? THEY PUT THE WRONG ALBUM/SONG/ARTIST INFO ON IT.

Okay, the Disco Mix has the right info. That's good.

Here's what I'll be working out to and listening to in general. The ones in bold are songs/band I totally already knew before I bought the CDs.
  • Takin' Care Of Business, Bachman-Turner Overdrive
  • Jungle Love, Steve Miller Band
  • Blinded By The Light, Manfred Mann's Earth Band
  • Foreplay/Long Time, Boston
  • Bad To The Bone, George Thorogood And The Destroyers
  • Smoke On The Water, Deep Purple
  • Jailbreak, Thin Lizzy
  • (Don't Fear) The Reaper, Blue Oyster Cult
  • Green-Eyed Lady, Sugarloaf
  • Heartbreaker, Pat Benatar
  • Roller, April Wine
  • Long Cool Woman (In A Black Dress), The Hollies
  • Feels Like The First Time, Foreigner
  • Renegade, Styx
  • Some Kind Of Wonderful, Grand Funk
  • Slow Ride, Foghat
  • Ballroom Blitz, Sweet
Pretty much everyone should know half of these disco hits, but I'm proud to know more than average. I was very pleased to find a couple of these lesser-known songs in this album; I know these songs from one of Dad's old radio tapes.
  • I'm Your Boogie Man, KC & The Sunshine Band
  • Shake Your Groove Thing, Peaches & Herb
  • Celebration, Kool & The Gang
  • Y.M.C.A, Village People
  • We Are Family, Sister Sledge
  • Best Of My Love, The Emotions
  • Got To Be Real, Cheryl Lynn
  • Upside Down, Diana Ross
  • Good Times, Chic
  • I Love The Nightlife (Disco 'Round), Alicia Bridges
  • I Will Survive, Gloria Gaynor
  • Don't Leave Me This Way, Thelma Houston
  • Ladies Night, Kool & The Gang
  • Heart of Glass, Blondie
  • Fly, Robin Fly, Silver Convention
  • If I Can't Have You, Yvonne Elliman
  • Last Dance, Donna Summer
Whoever finds my Sansa if I lose it will probably think it belongs to a 50-year-old.

No comments: